Troubleshooting / FAQ's
My Bialetti leaks water or steam out the sides.
- Check the ring, and replace if worn.
Replacement rings can be purchased from spare parts or your Bialetti stockist.
- Ensure the top of the water chamber and the ring are clean and free from coffee grounds
- Ensure you are not using a grind of coffee that is too fine, and it is subsequently getting caught in the spout where the coffee normally comes out. If it is, get yourself a pipe cleaner, take out the ring and filter and give the upper spout a good clean from the underneath side
- Ensure the coffeemaker is firmly screwed together
Coffee does not come up to the top.
- Check filter plate is clean and clear of debris. Replace if worn.
Replacement filters can be purchased from spare parts or your Bialetti stockist.
- Check funnel fits snugly into bottom chamber (1) and is not bent out of shape or worn around the edges.
Replacement funnels can be purchased from spare parts or your Bialetti stockist.
- Ensure the coffee grinds are NOT packed into the funnel as this hinders the flow of the water.
- Your grind may be too coarse or too fine. Bialetti stovetop coffeemakers work best with an espresso ground.
The inside of my coffee maker has gone a white colour.
- This usually happens when the coffeemaker is not dried properly, causing the aluminium to naturally oxidise. To clean the inside, use a dish brush and warm water with a little white vinegar added, and dry thoroughly before storing.
My handle has broken.
- Usually the result of using the handle as a lever to open or close the coffeemaker. Remember to wait for the coffeemaker to cool down and then open by grasping the top and bottom sections and twisting.
A replacement handle (Moka Express only) can be fitted for a small charge. Please contact us or your Bialetti stockist to arrange this service.
The safety valve is releasing steam and/or pressure.
- The safety valve is an important safety feature of your Bialetti pot. If steam or pressure is being regularly released from the safety valve, do not ignore as your pot may be blocked, or have a faulty safety valve. To check for a blockage, disassemble your pot by removing the ring and filter, and cleaning inside the column of the upper chamber. Then check the funnel to ensure it is not bent nor restricting the flow of water. Finally, located in the middle of the safety valve is a small piston, move the small piston in a circular motion to remove any clogging within the valve potentially caused by lime scale or other sediment. Should after these actions the safety valve continues to activate, cease using your pot immediately and return to your authorised Bialetti stockist for checking/servicing.