Bialetti Moka Express
My Bialetti leaks water or steam out the sides
- Check the seal and replace if worn. Genuine Bialetti spare parts are available from Bialetti stockists
- Ensure the top of the water chamber and the rubber seal are clean and free from coffee grounds
- Ensure the coffee maker is firmly screwed together.
Coffee does not come up to the top
- Check filter plate is clean and clear of debris. Replace if worn. Genuine Bialetti spare parts are available from Bialetti stockists
- Ensure the coffee grinds are not packed into the funnel as this hinders the flow of the water
- Your grind could be too coarse. Bialetti stovetop coffee makers work best with an espresso ground.
The inside of my coffee maker has gone a white colour
- This usually happens when the coffee maker is not dried properly, causing the aluminium to naturally oxide. To clean the inside, use a a dish brush and warm water with a little vinegar added, and dry thoroughly before storing.
My handle has broken
- Usually the result of using the handle as a lever to open or close the coffee maker. Remember to wait for the coffeemaker to cool down and then open by grasping the top and bottom sections and twisting. A replacement handle can be fitted for a small charge. Genuine Bialetti spare parts are available from Bialetti stockists.
Bialetti Mukka Express Cappuccino Maker
My Mukka produces too little froth or the froth rises slowly
- Check that the filter plate is not clogged
- Check that you have used espresso grind
- Check that the valve is clean
- Check that the cappuccino pop-up valve is correctly fitted.
Why won’t the base unscrew?
- Allow to cool completely. Run cold water over the unit to cool it down faster
- Release and remove the cappuccino valve before attempting to unscrew (this releases any pressure still in the chamber).
Why does the liquid or froth spill out of the upper tank?
- Check the amount of milk used has been measured correctly. It is really important that both the water and the milk be measured accurately using the plastic beaker provided with the unit
- Check that the heat is not too high.
Why does the joint between the upper tank and the base leak?
- The base may have been overfilled. Make sure you use the measuring cup provided with the Mukka. 150cc is the maximum water level
- Check that the base and upper tank are screwed together correctly
- Check that the rubber seal is fitted correctly
- Check that there are no coffee grounds on the edge of the lower tank, or stuck in the screw or on the rubber seal
- Make sure that the grounds are placed loosely in the basket. Do not pack down the coffee grounds
- The wrong coffee may have been used. An espresso grind is best.